How to Run a Side Quest at Swordcraft Quest
Side Quests are player driven activities that provide interesting experiences to all involved while also creating more depth and narrative to the Swordcraft roleplaying world.
General Guidelines for everyone running a side quest or activity.
- Try to make absolutely everything in-character. Avoid explaining the situation out-of-character and instead be a person involved in the story.
- Keep things simple. People generally only remember 3 things. A complex briefing will usually be forgotten quickly.
- Find a balance between making the experience challenging but achievable. You want the participants to succeed, but don’t make it too easy
- If using props, try to make them look real.
- Remember Swordcraft is a “what you see is what you get” world, so if somebody needs to pick a lock, give them a lock pick; if somebody needs to climb a wall, make them climb the wall.
- Remember that the play space is open to everybody, so be wary of assination and murder attempts, and don’t get annoyed it if it happens – Althea is a dangerous place and that is part of the fun.
- As a player try to roll with the experience. Take defeats and failures as part of the fun and try to play along with any roleplay magic you encounter.
- Don’t wreck other people’s fun. If you see another group on an adventure, don’t go out of your way to wreck it for them.
The Guild is a meeting point where people can advertise and collect quests. The Guild master will also be approving any non-standard rules about NPC.
The Guild will operate from Monday through to Thursday night. We encourage you to try to schedule your activities Monday to Thursday.
The PvE Forest
An area of the Mafeking Rover Park will be designated as the PvE Forest. There will be markers to indicate the boundaries. Within this area there may be creatures and NPCs that do not follow normal rules. If you encounter something and don’t have intel on it, assume it can probably kill you without breaking a sweat. The kind of variations that might occur include:
- Unusual respawning
- Higher than normal HP
- Immunity to certain kinds of weapons (eg arrows)
- Immunity to all weapons except those with specific quest items (eg magic amulet or sword)
- Unusual weapons (eg claws)
- If a creature is 7 foot tall, assume it is epic and will kill you with a single blow
Any kind of creature or NPC with special rules will not be permitted near the town or main siege game. This will be strictly enforced and may result in yellow or red cards for anybody who violates this.
(Note Town and Faction camp layout will be be different)
Running a Side Quest without special rules – simply do it! If you need anything from the Guild, come and find us at Quest and explain what you need in-character. You can also fill out the submission form but it is not necessary.
Running a Side Quest with special rules – complete this form before the 1st of April.